Friday, October 16, 2009

A Birthday Gift From Alex and Erica

And here the old man is on the morning of his 65th birthday.  A bit chilly, hence the scarf wrapped about his neck.  McDonald's.
Last night I was at McDonald's, counting out the handful of pennies that the saintly Smiley had gifted me with earlier in the day, when a lady walked up to me and handed me three one dollar bills, folded.  Unsolicited, I might add.

I was of course touched by the gesture.  "Tomorrow," I told her, "is my 65th birthday and I'm going to regard this as my birthday present."

I went inside, ordered a coffee, and when I came out she walked over and handed me a $20 bill.

Folks, when the Spirit of Aloha begins to touch the hearts and lives of people, strange and wondrous and amazing things begin to happen.  You'll be sitting at a table counting out the crumbs, the pennies, trying to put together a cup of coffee when quite suddenly, out of nowhere, the hand of the Spirit of Aloha reaches across that vast abyss of indifference and...makes contact.  And you realize that, like the Navajo, there is Beauty in the front of you, Beauty behind you, Beauty to the left of you, Beauty to the right of you.

Beauty all about you.

This is what happens when an Erica, an Alex, a Jamie or a John open up and become the *means* of Aloha manifesting down where the shoe leather meets the street.

And this day is not yet over!

Alex and Erica, if you read this please send me your email addy.  I could just kick myself for not getting a picture of the two of you last night, but rest assured that you brought a world of cheer into my life!

Mahalo again and again!

And a special tip of my hat to my friend Lorin, of LIFT CAFE, who has started reading my blog.

Ah luvs all you meeces to peeces!

No comments:

Post a Comment