Saturday, October 17, 2009

Kris: Aloha and the Art of Bicycle Maintenance


Kris is not your usual bicycle mechanic.

You don't walk in the shop wanting to borrow a tool so you can lower your bike seat an inch, and then have Kris listen to your story and just...take over.

He lowers the seat.  Finds another set of handlebars...installs them...adjusts the brake cables...lubricates the cables...adusts, well, EVERYTHING.

And then doesn't charge.

Gulp.  Thudding sound as jaw hits the floor.

Now dig on this:  I walk into his shop this afternoon, got a few bucks in my pocket, and want to do something to further the LONG RIDE.  What's this?  Set of pedals for five bucks?

I walk over and ask Kris to check my pedals, see if they need to be replaced.

Yep, he sez, but those you got won't work.  They're really small, for kids.

(Fantasy of new pedals instantly vanishes.)

But wait, he ain't done yet.This guy is Deep in the Heart of...Aloha. He sez, "I got some for ya in the back room."

And so he goes and gets them, takes the old pedals off, installs the new ones--and lets me walk out with the cash I need so badly.  I mean, like, just how to-tal-ly k-e-wl is that, Grasshoppah?

I have been blessed here in Austin to come across so many people who are being vessels and vehicles for Aloha to manifest right down here where the zen rubber meets the road.

Kris, thank you.   You're an Ally.  And an Ally is a very special person who is of assistance as we tapdance down that road of happy destiny.

Kinda blows my mind sometimes,in a very good way.

Peace, aloha, safe riding,

Elijah

No comments:

Post a Comment