Monday, October 19, 2009

The Obama Stencil


If you take the trail on the south side of the Colorado River and stay on it past the bridge that leads over to the pool, you'll come across this stencil with accompanying graffiti.  I took a picture of it back when the camera was still working--and before the racist scribblings were festering there.

Someone scribbled a Hitler moustache on the stencil.  And "Dead Nigger"??

I noticed it had been Hitlerized in the time since I'd shut-down Walkabout2 and kicked-off Walkabout3.  Meant to take a picture of the change, but the camera was broken, dammit.

Then a few days ago this computer got the virus removed and a new operating system installed, and this ability to take a photograph with the webcam started singing to me and so I've been taking pictures of this and that, as the Spriit has moved me.

As I'm riding by today, I glanced at it, of course, then rode a bit further before stopping.  Photograph the derned thing, I'm thinking.  You're in no hurry.  Just unpack, boot up the netbook, and get a shot of it.

As I was unpacking, this couple stopped and the lady asked, "You gonna cover that up?"  Good idea, but, no.

So we talked a bit.  I told her I blogged and she asked for the addy and I gave it to her, one word at a time.  "I can remember that," she said.

Then I took the picture.  As I was waving the netbook in the air, trying to get a shot without me being too much in the frame--you can see just my shoulder--a couple of bicycle cops swooshed by.  Ahhhhh.  Headed for the Spillway to bust 420ers and Open Container folks.  Sigh.

Packed her up, rode up to the ramp that goes topside, stopped to catch my breath.  And there below me were the cops doing their thing.  A guitar was strumming, trying for nonchalance.  I heard one of the cops say, "You know you've got warrants" and this homeless person protesting, "Yeah, but I'm fixin' to take care of 'em."

I didn't stick around to see how that little episode played out.  Rode up topside and informed the street people that the cops were downstairs on their bikes.  A heads-up.

Then back down the hill by another route to LIFT CAFE and a much needed coffee.

The food truck is not scheduled to come tonight, so dinner will have to be courtesy of the Spirit.

Peace, aloha, and confusion to the ticket-writers.

Elijah de las calles

No comments:

Post a Comment