Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Housekeeping Chores...Preparing for the Long Ride


So here we have Elijah posing in front of his trusty steed, the Peugeot.  This is how the bike is loaded today.  Plastic bag covering the seat will be discarded as it's no longer needed now that the rain has stopped.  The little kickstand was taken from an abandoned bicycle up near Barton Springs.  Want to get that wire water bottle carrier, too.  I could use an extra one, especially if the Long Ride becomes a reality.

The yellow roll is the poncho, which I spread out on the floor of the tent at night.  Blue is the tarp which serves yeoman duty as a rain fly.  Very important piece of equipment.  The sports jacket is folded and lies atop the rest of the gear.  Tent is neatly rolled and attached out of sight to the rear carrier.  Water bottle is over at the table where I'm typing this.

Now ordinarily I'm wearing the jacket. Makes me look a bit less "street" and a whole lot more respectable.  John and Jamie of LIFT CAFE were effusive in their praise of my "new look."  Smile.  (And of course I loved hearing that.)

But today is just so bloody hot! So here I am in denim shorts, looking a bit scruffy, but passable.

Earlier I rode up to the Barton Springs area to dry things out.  Turned the tent inside-out.  A lot of moisture was in there.  Didn't take long to dry in this heat.  Did some washing of clothing by hand there in the sink of the rest room. Spread the damp clothing out on the concrete which had been washed clean by the recent rains.

Twas lovely.  Donned a still damp undershirt and let it dry on my body.  The polo shirt is decent looking, so that's my uniform for the day.

I looked up the food truck, and they're not scheduled to come up to the Sunken Gardens where we always wait for them.  I spread the word it wasn't coming, so at least the people wouldn't stand around for an hour and a half hoping.  Don't know how many times I've done that myself.

See how empowering it is to have access to the internet?

I did see that the truck will be at Waterloo Park this evening, so I'm tentatively planning to ride up there.  Two sandwiches, milk or juice, Oreo cookies, chips, a boiled egg--doesn't sound like much, but it's a real life-saver when you're out here facing the elements.  Very, very grateful for Mobile Loaves and Fishes.

They have a website, and it's a terrific place to make a donation.  These people are actually out there doing something real, making a difference.

***

Now I don't know if the Long Ride is gonna happen or not, but I do have some thoughts and considerations.  First, if I'm ever gonna do it, I need to do it NOW.  My breathing isn't getting any better, so there's this window of opportunity which will not be open for too many more years.  As noted, 65 day after tomorrow.  And unsafe at any speed, btw.

So what I'm thinking is...I would like for the Long Ride to be something we all participate in, have a stake, an interest in.  Obviously I'll be blogging along the way.  And I'm thinking I would like about 250 to 500 business cards printed up to solicit readership for this blog.  And of course I'm gonna ask for help.  I wouldn't be much of a StreetMonk doing Walkabout 3 otherwise, now would I?  Smile.

I'm putting together a list of what I absolutely must have to start out on the trip.  Sleeping bag...yep.  Don't have that yet, and of course I want one that'll stuff into a fairly smallish bag.  I don't want to be rolling down that highway looking like some third world farmer on his way to market.

I'm hoping to look fairly, well, respectable.  Which means it would truly be lovely to have a pair of cheapish saddle bags for the back and a decent looking basket/bag for the front.

But I'll get to all that when I do the "wish-list" post.

There seems to be a decent and direct route west to Phoenix, so that's where I'm hanging out in my head.

That's where the Long Ride is just now.  In my head.  I've mentioned it to John, and he seems very supportive.  But we'll see.

If a van or trailer or something opens up here in Austin, I just might spend the winter.

But I'm a person who lives by signs and wonders, by little miracles that tapdance into my life, take a deep bow, and deliver whatever it is they've brought.

I live by miracles, sleight-of-hand of the Dancer, smoke and mirrors.

And who is that Masked One behind the curtain?

And I see that John V. of LIFT CAFE has signed on as a follower. K-e-w-l!!

Peace, love, dancing.

Elijah




No comments:

Post a Comment