Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Unsung Heros of Austin


Now here we have Jason, an unsung hero of Aloha living right here in Austin, beneath our very noses.  You can find him down at a very magic place known as "Bicycle Sport Shop."  He works back in Service, and I think that's so appropriate, for I know Jason through...service, wouldn't you know. 

He, along with his co-hero, Kris, are on a mission.  There have been no blaring of trumpets, rolling of the drums, or other displays of recognition.

That being so, may I offer up in tribute this humble little posting on the blog?

Today, Jason took my old rear carrier off and put on one that's sturdier, more suited for a long trip by bicycle.  Spent the better part of half an hour putting it on.  And...doing it right.  He took his time to do it right.  How important is that?

I think it's very important. He also had hunted up a pannier bag for me, sort of one-half of a pair of saddle bags, for those of you who aren't up to speed re panniers.

And Ah Luvs It. Mmmmm.

And Jason is not done with me yet.  What he's done, you see, is he has invested part of himself in this trip.  So every day that I'm out there on that highway, Jason will think of me from time to time.  I will be part of an ongoing story that he will tell for perhaps the rest of his life.  "The Old Man I Helped Do His Magical Last Long Ride."

Kris is along for that ride.  Yesterday Kris gifted the Long Ride with a beautiful cool weather coat, rain-proof, and top quality.  Lovely coat, just lovely.  Always wanted one like that.  And today Kris brought a red bicycle helmet to the Long Ride as an offering of Aloha.  And how kewl is that, bruddahs and seestahs?

There are a host of other Heros of Aloha that I intend to pay tribute to before I ride off into that glorious sunset of Destiny.

So...Jason and Kris, thanks for coming along for the ride.

This little...Band of Aloha, right?  This tiny little community of well-wishers who have gone out of their way to demonstrate their own commitment to this old man's adventure.

Tasty.

Lovely.

Peace, aloha, Aloha All Around Us,

Elijah

No comments:

Post a Comment